One of the best parts of sous vide cooking is that you don’t need to do much to your food before cooking. Most meats, fish and vegetables only need salt and pepper to shine. Even lean meats will retain their moisture on their own. However, you can certainly get creative with aromatics and marinades.
Step-by-Step instructions for your first time cooking
1. Place your ingredients in a food safe bag or a vacuumed sealed bag.
2. Fill Mellow with cool or room temperature water above the minimum fill line on the water container.
3. Carefully place your food packet into the water. Tip: Do not seal the bag until you place it into the water. The water will push the air out for you, then seal! If your bag is floating, check out this article for some great tips on keeping your bags submerged.
4. Select an ingredient from our collection on the home tab of your Mellow app to effortlessly cook your food.
5. Select your desired doneness and tap Cook
6. Let Mellow know when you want your food ready.
7. You can view your food's progress anytime by tapping on the cooking bar on the home page.
8. Swipe through the screens to check your food's cooking progress
9. View your Mellow's water temperature
10. Mellow will send you a notification when your food is ready so be sure you have your notifications turned on and your phone's volume turned up.
11. Depending on the ingredient, you can tap on Finish to enjoy now or select Keep it Warm to enjoy a little later (Mellow will let you know when you have to remove the ingredient depending on what you are cooking).
12. Carefully remove the ingredient packet from the water (water may be hot)!
13. Cut a small slit in the corner of the bag to remove the juices (if not using).
14. Preheat a pan and add oil or butter.
15. Sear both sides for 1-2 minutes
Can't find an ingredient in the list or want more control?
If you're feeling adventurous or want total control over the cooking process, Mellow's manual mode is perfect for that. Additionally, if you do not see an ingredient listed in the app, feel free to use manual mode to cook your food to perfection.
Learn more about how Mellow's cooling feature works
Mellow’s cooling feature makes it possible for you to place your food in the water bath in the morning and have it ready for you when you get home from work. Be sure to take a minute to read about how the cooling feature works.